Google Podcast - Finally....

Android Fanboys rejoice! Android FINALLY released an official podcast app. I'm still not sure why it took until 2018 to officially support a medium that's over a decade old, but here we are. 

First things first, Can someone tell me why they decided to make the icon look almost identical to the Fitbit icon? It's so blatant that it's almost offensive. Not to mention annoying when I can't tell the two apart in my status bar.



Now, let's talk about the app itself. Historically I have used Podcast Addict. I have the paid version of the app, and it is robust. Auto downloads, offline play, sorting, you name it. 

However, Google podcast does NONE of that. If you want to binge on your favorite podcasts, you'll be streaming it, and you'll be thrown back to the 90's while watching the app "buffer". 

The GUI is clean like we've come to expect from Google. The search function seems to be robust. I had no issues quickly finding my favorite podcasts (Shoutout to SYSK). However, I feel like I should have the option to download podcasts for offline playback. Sometimes I travel, and I shouldn't have to worry about my signal when I'm driving through the mountains. I also have my favorite episodes that I listen to more than once. I have around 20 SYSK episodes that I enjoy going back to. Podcast addict allows me to quickly search the vast library and pick the episode I want to listen to. 

I am very happy that Google decided to release this app, but it feels totally half baked at this point. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but I like to have control over my data and media. Even Spotify lets me do offline playback. Maybe in another 10 years Google will catch up to my favorite podcast app. 

I'm sure that this will come as no surprise to you, but Google Podcast is




No comments:

Post a Comment